Sunday, July 27, 2008

Visit to Palmyra!!!!

I wanted to get these pictures up earlier, but this week has been pretty busy with a Pioneer Day activity that required me to make many mini loaves of bread (say that fast 3 times:)) Also made and ate way too much honey taffy. Probably got a cavity from it, but it was go-od! But I digress.

Last weekend we went to Palmyra and the Pageant at Hill Cumorah. Palmyra is about 4 hours from Sparta, we left Friday morning (goal was 7 a.m. left at 9, typical huh!) and got there about 1:30. We pulled in and a very helpful volunteer told us to go and save our seats, which we did. Then we went to the Visitor's Center at the Hill Cumorah, and saw the Christus statue, and watched a short version of the Resoration video. I was so grateful to be inside with the air conditioning, because it was really humid and hot outside. After that we drove over to the Palmyra temple and took some pictures. As we were leaving two huge tour buses pulled up and kids came streaming out, one of their leaders took out picture and told us that they were from North Carolina and the closest hotel that they could find for their 300 youth was in Scranton, PA (like 3 hours away).



Next we went to the Sacred Grove and Smith farm, where we ran into our Bishop and his family. We took the shortest walk through the Sacred Grove, it was really a hot day. But despite that we had a neat experience, we stopped and read a few verses from Joseph Smith History, and talked to the kids about what happened there. It was interesting that up to that point we had passed several families on the trail, but when we sat down and started reading, not one person walked past us. In Sacrament Meeting today Jonah looked at the program (which had a picture of the Sacred Grove on the front) and said "That hat hats where wuh wuh wuh we were!!" (He has a really cute stutter). Eli said later, looking at the same picture: "Hey dad, it's the secret grove!"



Up the trail from the Sacred Grove we were able to walk through the barns and sheds near the house. The tour guide said that the barn (which wasn't the original but was placed in the same location as the Smith's barn) was moved from Virginia? and belonged to Brigham Young's father. Ethan (loudly): "That's my great grandpa! Does that mean that this barn is MINE?" Ethan's pictures:



The house is a replica of the house that Joseph Smith grew up in, placed in the footprint of the old house. It was actualy air conditioned! But it was still hot, especially upstairs. I can't remember when the replica was built, but the guide said that the tools and materials they used were authentic to that time period.

The motorized wheel chair adds character, yeah?

Jonah the trespasser, going into the "sick room" (room off of the main floor bedroom)

Main room of the cabin, with scriptures on the table and a high chair in the background

The upstairs was divided into 2 rooms, a large bedroom with 2 beds where all the boys in the family slept (3 to a bed!) and then a smaller, back bedroom where the girls slept.

Back of the house

I'll have to save the Pageant for another post. I'm so grateful for Joseph Smith, and last weekend was a chance to learn more about him and his family. It makes the restoration of the gospel come to life to actually see where the events took place. Also, reminds me that I love a/c.

9 comments:

Katrina said...

Our old stomping grounds! This post makes me a little homesick. Seeing all the sites really does make it seem more "real" doesn't it? I thought the same thing. Can you imagine living back then without a/c? I would've been a very bad pioneer! I am so mad you guys are living only 4 hours from where we used to be. That is LAME. We totally could've taken drives to see eachother!

Katrina said...

Wait, forgot to ask. Are you guys really related to Brigham Young??

Jenni said...

How fun! Thanks for the pictures....what a neat experience to share with your children. I don't think I would have made a very good pioneer either. Love my a/c! I seem to tolerate the heat less and less each year. What a wimp I am.

Andie said...

I love Palmyra! We went four years ago for the pageant. A lot of people encouraged us to wait till the kids were older so they would remember it more, but we were so glad we didn't listen and went anyway.

Are you really related to Brigham Young?

Sara LaClaire said...

so cool! thanks for posting all those pictures. i really want to go there one day.

Sara LaClaire said...

ps. lookin' good lady! you are all belly. that's awesome. ;)

Becky said...

Yup on my mom's side we are related to Brigham Young, but there are probably tons of people related to him because of all of his wives!
Katrina, Rochester seemed like a friendly town, I thought about you and Keith while we were driving to our hotel. But I'm glad that at least one of us is out of the humidity:)

Blake and Lara said...

Wow Becky, you guys have been to some amazing places! How wonderful to get to visit so many church history sites. I would absolutely love to get to do that someday! Awesome!

Carrie said...

Oh, I'd love to do that trip someday too! Your pictures are great & I love reading your storytelling and funny captions. :) You've had an awesome, busy summer.