Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

I love the Fourth of July, I have so many fond memories of picnicking and eating Doritos and watermelon, and watching fireworks with my family. Every year I try to re-create my ideal Independence Day, but it's never quite the same. Despite my sentimentality, and the rain, the LaClaire clan had an excellent day in humid, historic NJ. (Our soundtrack for the day was Inside Out singing Jackie Chan over and over. I've tried to replicate it on the playlist, just imagine Take a Chance sung with the words Jackie Chan, with an interlude of Kung Foo Fighting. Did you know that Jackie does all his own stunts and has broken 40 bones in his left arm? I didn't until yesterday!!)


We went to a small, neighborhood parade all decked out, the kids got exactly one piece of candy.


Drove down to George Washington's headquarters in Morristown. We were actually on time for the reading of the Declaration of Independence. It was read by an actor in period clothes, with an accent and a great reading voice. It was interesting to hear it being read, and the crowd booed and yelled 'down with the tyrant' during the reading. After, the reader wished King George several things, my favorite was 'persistent itching without scratching.' Some soldiers fired their muskets and everybody 'Hip, hip, hoorayed!'. Of course the boys were lovin the guys with the guns!


George Washington headquarters in NJ, the Ford Mansion. The Ford family lived upstairs while the bottom floor was 'rented' to the soldiers during the war. The rooms inside were decorated true to the 1770's and boy did they have small beds! It was pretty cool to walk where George Washington walked, touch the handrailings, etc.


Ethan and Eli with a guide at the Wick house. The Wick family were the owners of the land where the soldiers were quartered the winter of 1779-1780, one of the coldest winters of the century. This house was small and soo dark inside. I was trying to explain to Ethan that this was one of the bigger houses at the time, and he kept saying, "What house, where is the big house? What happened to the rest of it?" He couldn't get it through his noggin. It was amazing to again realize how much comfort and convenience we enjoy, and take for granted most of the time.






Soldier huts at Jockey Hollow
I can't help getting emotional when I'm reminded of the sacrifices that so many people have made for our country. It's a testimony of this land, and the power of God, that we were able to win the Revolutionary War. It truly humbles and amazes me to get a small glimpse of what these soldiers, and their wives and children, went through, for just the hope of freedom.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Love it! How neat to get to go to those historic spots. Not much historic pertaining to the birth of our nation in Idaho. I love the fourth also. Such a privilege we have to be living in this nation and in this day.