Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Deep Thoughts

Been thinking about how I can keep up positivity- my goal for 2011. A thought that came tonight while I was saying my prayers is that it begins by finding the good in myself. And then that habit will spill over into the habit of finding good in other people. And so on. That will be a challenge for me, looking for the good (especially in myself) is not my go-to guy. But I am going to change that, this year, 2011!
I have been feeling acutely the responsibility of being a mother of many kids. I have felt overwhelmed and very much like I am muddling through day to day. There is so much that I want to teach each one of my kids- but right now it feels like I can barely meet the physical demands- meals, laundry, band-aids, etc. It is daunting to think of what I need to teach them. So, back to my thought above- I am going to start with me. I am going to continue to develop qualities in myself that will help me reach my potential as a daughter of God! I can be an example of testimony, spirituality, obedience, love, work, patience and other qualities that are important. I have control of ME. Usually. And that is the only thing I have control over these days:)

2 comments:

D said...

YOU are right that YOU are a good place to start with. That is pretty much all we have control over. But I think you are hard on yourself. You have been entrusted with all those kids for a reason-- Heavenly Father trusts YOU and YOU are doing a great job.

Katrina said...

First, your title kind of cracks me up. I think it should read, "Deep Thoughts by Becky," :) But seriously, I'm sure you are a great mom. I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. It seems like that's all I feel all the time. It's a huge responsibility we have, and most of the time I feel like I'm failing. I've had the same ephiphany before, one time when I'd had such a bad day with the kids, after Keith got home, I left the house in a tizzy, drove to the temple and just sat in the parking lot and bawled and prayed, and that was the answer that I got at that time, that I can only control myself and the choices I make, and you're exactly right, we can be an example of love, patience, testimony, etc. no matter what others around us are choosing. Keep up the great work, Mama!