Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thoughts of December 22nd


I was just remembering last year at this time- I was hugely pregnant and ready to have a baby! I had just shoveled the driveway in hope that she would come NOT on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but no dice. I was so sore because of all that shoveling. And then, December 23 at around 3 am, CJL and I were on our way to the hospital. Little Sadie was born Christmas Eve Morning around 9 am (I think). It was so sweet to have a new little one so close to Christmas. But it was also difficult to be in the hospital and not be home getting things ready for Christmas Morning- and to miss Christmas Morning! So sad, that I didn't think about it or it could have been dangerous!
I talked to Curtis a bunch of times on Christmas Eve while he was putting together toys and I was watching midnight mass. Then the next morning we waited for the Doctor's to come in from their Christmas mornings and check us out. I was so grateful for those nurses and doctors who spent time on their Christmas and Christmas Eve taking care of Sadie and I. We were able to come home in the early afternoon, and the kids had waited for us to open gifts. We did that, and held Sadie, and fed her a bunch of times, and it was a great day...

I thought that Christmas 2011 was going to be my year to make up for not being around, to plan, prepare, and enjoy all that comes with the Christmas Season... Didn't think life got crazier than having baby #5 on Christmas Eve.
Fast Forward to December 22 2011.
I was so wrong.
Try an international move with 5 kids 9 and under, a month before Christmas. Add in Eli's Baptism, and Sadie's birthday (and a very small selection of cake mixes! German Chocolate -that's it!), and no idea where to go to find gifts for anyone, and a slight phobia of driving, and you've got... us... well... me. Crazy people who do crazy things like move to England right before Christmas!
We finally did get a tree up yesterday. We have 3 teeny strands of lights from Sainesbury's, but no presents and a huge mess of random objects shoved to the back of the room. It just stinks remembering our house last year in MN that was so cozy and cute with all of the snow falling outside, and then, not being there this year.
We have moved many times but this one has seriously thrown me off my game... for almost 2 months now. 'So much of living here is a compromise'- a new friend said the other day - so true. It's all the little compromises that add up and just get to ya sometimes!

But, even with all that is nuts around here, I am still excited for Christmas. I am hoping the kids don't cry when they realise that they didn't get iPod touches or BB guns (the only things that ALL THREE BOYS put on their letters to Santa). I know Janie will just be fun to watch... if she isn't saying shut up or I don't care or I'm going to run away. And Sadie will be so happy just to get a new toothbrush! Which she needs now that she has almost 12 teeth!!!
I am excited to take pictures and make memories of a totally different, crazy, first English Christmas (Fruitcake not included- unless you count me).

4 comments:

Andie said...

Cute picture! What fun family memories you will have! Who knew you'd go from a Christmas Eve baby to a Christmas Eve in London one year later? You guys are amazing!

D said...

We miss you! That brought back a beautiful memory for us driving over on a cold winter night to see the baby on Christmas... now there is no snow, it is warm and bright, and you guys aren't here! Are we really in MN? The girls are oohing and ahhing over your girls and look- SG has curly hair- she has already changed! You are quite the lady for taking on so much in a year!

The Ward Family said...

What a great story. Well just remember this....you will look back on this Christmas a few years later and it too will bring a smile to your face. I am sure the spirit of CHRISTmas was stronger this year. Love you guys.

I can so relate to your dilema of boxes and overflowing in closets, under beds, and dressers. I am ready to sell both houses sell all the furnishings and just start over.

Andrea Johnson said...

Merry Christmas! I just recently found out from Suzie that you moved to London. What an exciting adventure for your family. Loved your stories and your pictures. Your family is beautiful!