Last weekend Ethan, Eli and I took our third fishing trip of the summer. I came home from work early on Friday and we went over to Lake Lenape (about 7 miles from our house). Armed with 4 fishing poles (learned from Grumpy to always bring an extra rod), tackle box, and 3 dozen worms, we showed up to do battle with any .5 lb sunny willing to take us on from our post at the end of the public access dock. That is exactly how our afternoon proceeded as well. This was a monumental trip as Ethan demonstrated his proficiency in baiting his own hooks. Eli was on and off on his focus on fishing and spent much of his time playing in the water...I had to make a rule that he not go in deeper than his shorts...

For the first hour or so, we caught palm size sunny after sunny....and then we saw it...a large bass striking out at our sunnies from under the dock. Of course it drew my interest and I swapped out my skinny worm for a couple of sure-fire lures (have caught many fish on previously). I spent a few minutes trying to draw the bass out from under the dock, but he wasn't interested in my fancy hook devise. So I returned to the palm size sunfish. After a few more catches we saw him again, a pretty good size small mouth coming after our little sunfish.
Well, I didn't think much of it, but then a few casts later, I was reeling in a small sunfish and that bass came out one more time, this time his strike was spot on and he grabbed the sunny I was brining in. My line went tight and my rod bent in half as that bass tried to escape...the deed was done. He was now hooked on my line and I wasn't about to let him get away. I fought him for a minute or two and then landed him on the dock. Ethan and Eli were ecstatic.
Mom and Jonah were on their way to see us so they were able to take these pictures. We had a great time. Only one issue....Ethan wanted to take it home and eat it; Eli wanted to let it go. Eli ended up leaving with Mom and Jojo and Ethan and I brought the fish home, filleted it, and cooked it up for dinner. 
1 comment:
Nice post! I still can't believe that Ethan can bait a hook... and who would have thought that Eli would have compassion on a fish when he has no problem beating the crap out of both his brothers? It's a strange world we've created.
Post a Comment