Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Our H1N1 week

It was a really miserable week here last week! Ethan started out over the weekend with a fever and headache, and then developed a cough. He perked right up when I gave him tylenol or motrin, so because of that he seemed ok. Then Sunday I started feeling a little weird, and Jonah started a fever. Monday morning Curtis went to Freeport, IL for a project he's working on. He was going to come home Wednesday night, and then leave again Thursday morning with Jonah for Utah. (He always is conveniently gone for all the good stuff- hormonal wife, sick kids, I don't know how he does it) We didn't have school, so we got up and I felt good enough to make pancakes and home-made syrup, and even tried out my new close-up filters on my camera. I will post those later. But as I was cleaning up breakfast I started feeling dizzy and really tired. Then Eli developed a fever as well. Tuesday I was supposed to go with Eli on a field trip, but neither one of us were up for that at all, Jonah spiked a fever of 104.9 that morning, and Ethan stayed home from school as well. I kept feeling Janie's head, expecting a fever any time, but she miraculously didn't get sick, which was and is such a blessing. Tuesday our neighbor Jill brought us groceries and home made chicken noodle soup for dinner. That was another huge blessing. I think because I was up with the kids at night, I also got a cold along with the virus; I had so much sinus pressure I had to sleep with a few pillows propping me up. Jonah's fever broke Tuesday and I thought he was on his way to recovery, but Friday he went upstairs and fell asleep, and when I checked on him he had another 104 degree temp. I took him in Saturday morning to Ready Care, and he had a blood test and a chest x-ray. He also had to have his ears flushed out. He's crying when we're talking to the nurse about it and he screeches: 'Is it gonna be FIRE?' And then when she was flushing out his ear he's yelling: 'Is it BLOOD...BLOOD?!!!' I was almost laughing I tell ya! He also got a tiny little face maks to wear. He could almost be Micheal Jackson for Halloween. All of his tests came out just fine, which is another blessing, I am so grateful that he is doing so much better (he has a hacking cough, it sounds HORRIBLE) but what a blessing that he doesn't have pneumonia or another secondary infection. I was amazed how quickly his chest films were developed and read by the Dr. And I am so grateful for medical care, and Doctors and nurses who work on Saturdays and don't mind working with contagious, grumpy kids!
Curtis arrived hom Wednesday night to a lovely sight, a house full of sick, grumpy people who were going stir crazy from being home together for 3 days. He slept downstairs in the guest room with JK in a pack and play because I could feel the germs coating all surfaces. Sick. Thursday I was feeling well enough and grossed out enough to start cleaning. It feels better but I am still not convinced that our house is safe. Maybe in a week or two.
It was a stressful week but also a week full of blessings. We had neighbors and friends and family watching out for us. I am still catching up on laundry, but that's nothing new. Curtis cancelled his trip to Utah. Too bad, but he got to be here Sunday for the Primary Program, which turned out so very awesome. Hopefully we are good and immune for awhile!

9 comments:

Andie said...

Oh, oh, oh that sounds so horrible! So glad you guys are feeling better. I've felt that same gratitude for doctors and nurses before, too.

Collins Family said...

Oh boy! Sorry to hear that you guys were under the weather. I got your message during MEA, asking if Sean could play. We were on vacation for 2 weeks & just got in yesterday (Tuesday). We'll have to still get the boys together some time soon!

Unknown said...

How awful! I hate it when everyone gets sick!! Glad you are all feeling better and it's awesome your little one didn't catch it.

Niki said...

I'm sorry you guys caught this too. It was pretty rough on our family and your stories of propping up w/ pillows, night fevers, laundry, cleaning, etc. sounds all too familiar. I'm glad Jill was there to take care of you, it's so hard to be sick and mom at the same time.

Blake and Lara said...

OH Becky! What a nightmare, and no husband to help! I'm so sorry you guys were all so sick! You are one awesome mama. I hope it means you guys are over the hump of the illness and won't have to deal with it the rest of the season! Luckily we have stayed relatively healthy, we were all able to get vacinated but Blake. The flu is really peaking in our area right now! Tons of people sick, maybe it will peak and then taper off! Love you guys and glad that hopefully the worst is over!!!

Jenni said...

Glad you made it through it. We went through that about a month ago only Roger got sick not me....and Isaac didn't get sick either, strange huh.......Glad you are feeling better. I know the laundry just never ends does it.

Erica said...

Aaawww! Becky! So sorry you guys were so sick. We've all had hacky coughs and aches, but thankfully no high fevers. Austin is the only one that got the flu vaccine. Glad you guys are on the road to recovery, and isn't it convenient that our husbands go out of town when everyone gets sick? Dustin did the same thing. SO ANNOYING! :)

sammysangel said...

awwwwwwww that sucks dad an mom were sick too

Katrina said...

Hi! I haven't visited your blog for awhile! Good to catch up on what you've been up to. Glad you survived the H1N1...I don't know how you do it with Curtis traveling so much (he seems to go on a lot of business trips)? You were cracking me up about you rice sock! I am a blogging looser as of late...well, maybe just enjoying this babe so much that I just haven't taken the time to do it. But I am waiting to get photos of her from my friend who is a photographer - we took them when she was 12 days old, and I will post them as soon as I get them. Glad to hear you got a new camera. Which one did you end up getting? O.K., this is officially the longest blog comment ever....!