Sunday, October 19, 2008

Basketball Evaluations

On Saturday I took Ethan to basketball evaluations at the Free Evangelical Church a few miles north of us. The church hosts basketball and soccer programs each year which are open to anyone. So we showed up and kind of went through an assembly line where Ethey got fitted for a jersey and shorts, and his height measured. Then we went into the gym. It was set up with a big stage on one side and a serious sound booth on the other side.

There were about 4 kids in front of us, and Eth saw a boy from his class at school, and I talked to his mom for a minute. Then it was our turn and 2 coaches I assume came over and said hi to us and took us over to a little area with a hoop and some orange cones. One was probably 50 and the other maybe 60 or so.

Then the fun began.

They asked Ethan to shoot from a couple of different spots, into a short little hoop. He missed a few, and then actually made one!!

Then over to the cones to slide. The younger coach told Ethan to put his hands up like he was on defense (puzzled look in Ethan's eye... what's defense?) and slide back and forth between the cones. They actually timed him to see how fast he could slide. But because he was trying to go so fast, the sliding became a hop, and Ethan's hands lost their defensive stance and looked a little bit like he was washing windows.
Ethan: HOP! WAVE ARMS! HOP! WAVE ARMS! DEFENSE??
Coach: "Faster, don't stop, keep goin'!"
Me: small giggles
Ethan: going faster because he's being TIMED with a stop watch
Me: larger giggles

Next obstacle and I knew it was gonna be even better: dribbling.
I won't describe it but this was the dialogue:
Coaches: "OK Ethan, try to WALK while you dribble!"
Coaches: "Use your fingertips Ethan!!
Me: a few giggles escaped, but please just let it be over
Coach #2, (the older one) walks over to where I'm sitting: "Do you have a basketball at home?"
Me: "Yup"
Coach#2: "You'll probably want to have Ethan practice his dribbling, using his fingertips."
Me: "OK "

OH, and Ethan's new basketball tank top (which he wore with a t-shirt under him after I made him) stated:
(front) : I DON'T NEED A MIC
(back): MY GAME SPEAKS FOR ITSELF
Yes it does, and it says that basketball season is gonna be AWESOME.

2 comments:

Slagowski Family said...

haha natural athlete!

Phil and Becca said...

that's hillarious. Kids games are only fun when you are watching your kids play, don't you agree. Half the time you are thinking "oh he's so cute" that it really doesn't matter how well/bad he plays. :)