Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sheldon and Sheldon 2



Curtis found a turtle a few weeks ago while he was mowing the lawn. Ethan named him Sheldon and he became our little pet (because that's all the pet I can handle right now). His box blew over two days later and Sheldon was gone (Curtis and I secretly shared a phew, now we don't have to worry about kids killing a turtle moment).

Lo and behold Sunday the guys went for a bike ride and came home with another Sheldon. He was a little bit smaller with the same markings on his shell, so we set up the box and the pool again and had fun watching Sheldon 2 swim around, eat strawberries, and try to escape. Things kinda went downhill from that point, because Tuesday Eli and Jonah got out of the house without me, and Eli took Sheldon to the sandbox. I had forgotten to take the recycling out, so I ran out of the house as I heard the truck coming down the street. Quickly assessing our garbage level I realized that the recycling couldn't wait another week so I grabbed the can and ran it out to the road (like a 3 mile hike). Little did I know as I was doing that Sheldon 2 was being MAIMED and TORTURED in the sandbox!! Poor Sheldon was squeezed inside his shell so tight, Jonah was carrying him around like a football, and who knows what else happened, because Sheldon 2 would not come out of his shell.

This is getting long, but after awhile I was convinced that Sheldon was dead. His back feet were kind of relaxing but he wouldn't respond to anything else. Ethan had school, and Eli had a birthday party, and I was sitting in the garage sobbing over this dead turtle. It was a emo prego moment. Turns out that Sheldon was playing dead, and he started to revive after awhile. We let him go that day, down by a nice little bog, but his head never really came out of his shell, so I hope that he's ok. Later that day Jonah said "Mom, sowwy for killing Sheldon."

3 comments:

Andie said...

I thought the story was going to end with Sheldon being run over by the garbage truck, so I'm glad your turtle was just a little shell-shocked! Aren't boys fun?!

Mia said...

Oh, doesn't that just melt your heart. That's what I have to look forward to, moments like that. I love that you just sat there and cried. That's the best part of the story. It was probably the *Double* female hormones in your body taking over!

Katrina said...

You make me laugh, because I can so relate! I have to ask, were you secretly cursing Curtis for not putting the recyling out before he left for work? :) I had a similar incident recently when Tyler fed one of the baby chicks to the dog, and he gobbled it right up!